Search This Blog

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Plugging Your Own Bucket

I don't think I will be alone here when I confess that I have always suffered from low self esteem. My self worth has gotten a lot better as I have gotten older and learned to begin to love myself as I am. I think that the notion of self loathing is more a norm instead of an exception, and it is something I will continue to address in myself, and hope to inspire others to consider.

I use the analogy with my young daughters that everyone has a bucket in their heart that holds all the love people give them. The bucket is subject to wear and tear though, and only by loving yourself can you patch the holes in your bucket so that the feeling of being loved stays in it. Many people outside yourself can pour love and attention into your bucket, but it only nourishes you when your bucket is patched with a good lining of self love.

Self love comes in many packages. It comes in the form of taking care of yourself first so you can take care of others. It comes in the form of doing things you do not want to do as a gift of love to yourself and those you care about. It can be as simple as forgiving yourself for all your perceived faults, and loving yourself anyway. I said that last one was simple, but it took a long time for me to be able to look in a mirror and tell myself, "I love you just as you are. You are worthy of all the good that comes to you."

I am worthy of all the good that comes to me, and so are every one of you. God, The Universe, The Goddess, Source... Whatever you want to call it, it does not make junk. We are all powered by the divine spark in human form. You are worthy just as you are to deserve your own love and attention. Spend a little time today doing something for yourself, and make it a habit.

My father always said, "Check your oil and water!" every night when I talked to him on the phone. He was always concerned about my transportation. Be a part of your transformation and take a few moments today to work on plugging your bucket. You will be glad you did...

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! I am honored. I love the Teflon Cauldron! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm struggling with the same issues, Lori. ( I read "Dying to the Old" before reading this.) I have always suffered with low self esteem, then after Emily was born, I plunged into depression and high anxiety. After 2 years of therapy, I supposedly graduated. I never did gain self esteem, well, not enough to participate in life like I hoped. But I had learned the tools to help Emily when she started showing signs of depression/anxiety.
    She is now a confident, talented senior ready to fly the nest.
    Your blog has sparked in interest in me to work on plugging my bucket.
    Love ya' darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love you too, Adrienne. I am so happy that me sharing my struggles made you think about plugging your bucket. :-) I worried that I was being too personal with these posts. It is so strange to me how the most bright, beautiful and talented women I know(like you my dear) are the ones who have low self esteem. You deserve your own love, and the world deserves to see you shine. I love seeing the things you make when you post pictures. Emily is so very blessed to have you for a mom. I mean these things from my very heart. :-) You aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete